BARBADOS MUDDOGS PREPARE FOR SEPTEMBER SAFARI
After a three-month summer break, the Barbados Rally Club’s (BRC) off-roaders are fettling their machines in readiness to rejoin battle in the MudDogs Safari Championship and the Chefette MudDogs Safari Novice Championship. The fourth of five rounds for the season is the September Safari on Sunday, September 16.
With two rounds to go, the winners of the season’s opening event, the Chefette March Safari, Chris Armstrong and Wayne Clarke, respectively lead the overall Driver and Navigator standings, with Ryan Corbin and Dustin Edwards just two points behind. Once a dropped score is taken into account, however, they slip into second and third places behind Leslie Alleyne and Chris O’Neal, who won both the Chefette April Safari and the Sol Go Further 55th Anniversary June Safari.
Among the Chefette Novices, Dominic Straker and Nicholas Pinto head the Driver and Navigator standings, with an advantage of six points over Aswad Bannister and Nyere Jones; while dropping a score does not affect their positions, it would shuffle the next few competitors around.
Route-setters for the September Safari are Biddy Barber and Warrick Eastmond, both experienced navigators. The first crew is scheduled to leave the start at Pool Plantation Yard, St John, at 8.01 a.m., with the finish at Barbados Clay Target Shooting Association (BCTSA) Club House at Searles, Christ Church, at approximately 4.30pm. There will be a lunch stop at Chefette Six Roads, St Philip.
BRC MudDogs Chairman, Warren Gollop says: “I hope that everyone has had an enjoyable and restful summer break and is rejuvenated for the final half-season surge. Warrick and Biddy are looking forward to providing an enjoyable rally with as much mud as they can get . . . with help from ‘above’! Once again, an effort has been made to make this Safari as enjoyable for both MudPups and MudDogs. Remember to enter early to make this a September to Remember!”
Entries are open at Motorsport Services in Haggatt Hall and will close on Tuesday, September 11, at noon; the Briefing Meeting will be at 7.00pm the same evening, at the BCTSA Club House, after which the entry list will be released. The Prize-giving for the September Safari will be held at the same venue the following Monday, (September 17), once results are made final. A Practice Rally has been organised for this Sunday (September 9), set by Darnley Rayside. It will start at Country View Bar, Market Hill, St George at 9.30am and finish at Hutchie’s Shop, Bathsheba at approximately Noon. The entry fee is $20 per vehicle, with maps at $15.
BRC MudDogs Safari Championship Positions after round 3
- 1st Wayne Clarke (Toyota Hilux), 174 points
- 2nd Dustin Edwards (Toyota Hilux), 172 points
- 3rd Darnley Rayside (Land Rover Discovery), 166pts
- 4th Jeremy Croney (Suzuki Samurai), 156pts
- 5th Willie Hinds (Suzuki Samurai), 152pts
- 6th Rorie McConney (Toyota Hilux), 146pts
- 7th Chris O’Neal (Mahindra Pik-Up & Isuzu D-Max), 120pts
- 8th Jason Downey (Suzuki Samurai), 118pts
- 9th Peter Bradshaw (Land Rover Defender 110), 114pts
- 10th Nicholas Pinto (Suzuki Samurai & Nissan Patrol), 112pts etc
- 1st Chris Armstrong (Toyota Hilux), 174pts
- 2nd Ryan Corbin (Toyota Hilux), 172pts
- 3rd Ben Norris (Land Rover Discovery), 166pts
- 4th Audley Croney (Suzuki Samurai), 156pts
- 5th Michael Ward (Suzuki Samurai), 152pts
- 6th Gregory Dickenson (Toyota Hilux), 146pts
- 7th Mark Western (Nissan Patrol), 140pts
- 8th Dominic Straker (Nissan Patrol), 128pts
- 9th Leslie Alleyne (Mahindra Pik-Up & Isuzu D-Max), 120pts
- 10th Kerry Renee (Suzuki Samurai), 118pts etc
Chefette MudDogs Safari Novice Championship Positions after round 3
- 1st Nicholas Pinto (Suzuki Samurai & Nissan Patrol), 172pts
- 2nd Nyere Jones (Toyota Hilux), 166pts
- 3rd Nick Branson (Suzuki Jimny), 150pts
- 4th Trina Griffith (Suzuki Jimny), 112pts
- 5th Andy Williams (Suzuki Samurai), 96pts
- 6th equal Daniel Christie (Suzuki Samurai) & Jamal Brathwaite (Jeep Grand Cherokee), 90pts etc
- 1st Dominic Straker (Nissan Patrol), 180pts
- 2nd Aswad Bannister (Toyota Hilux), 166pts
- 3rd Johnny Pinto (Suzuki Jimny), 150pts
- 4th Damien Johnson (Suzuki Samurai), 142pts
- 5th Matthew Durant (Suzuki Jimny), 112pts
- 6th Michael Fields (Land Rover Defender 110), 108pts etc